When describing grids, do we want to encourage something like this:
or something like this "8 × 8 × 8" or "8×8×8":
or something different like
Disadvantages of MathJax:
- it's a different font compared to the rest of the paragraph, so things don't look consistent/uniform
- it loads slower, especially on browsers that don't handle MathJax well
- it takes longer to type
- the spacing seems to be a bit too spread out.
Disadvantages of "8 × 8 × 8" or "8×8×8":
- You have to find the unicode symbol u+00D7 somewhere (or remember it!) and copy-and-paste it. If you're aware of this Meta post, perhaps it will be a faster way to find where to copy and paste the × symbol, but still it's inconvenient compared to 8x8x8 or maybe even $8 \times 8 \times 8$.
Disadvantages of "8x8x8":
- It might be a bit too "tight" in terms of the kernings and maybe doesn't look the most professional (you wouldn't publish a paper in a journal like this, I think).